How to use of Astah (Pro/SysML/GSN/Com)
     Alignment of diagram elements across platforms

Threaded | Oldest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
Joba
Posted on: 2012/8/20 12:37
Developer
Re: Alignment of diagram elements across platforms
Thank you very much for your reply and encourgament!
We put this issue on our FAQ that should help other users who are having the same problem thanks to you.

FAQ: Why do my diagrams appear slightly different (visually) on different platforms?

Cheers,
SJ
mwoodj
Posted on: 2012/8/16 3:48
Just popping in
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I appreciate your research into the issue and the solution you have provided. Keep up the good work!
Joba
Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:12
Developer
Hello again,

I just got back from the development team and they confirm that there is an issue of diagram appearance across platforms as you pointed out when the font you use on each platform is different as model elements will be resized automatically according to the font.

So the current solution for this problem is to use the same font on all the platform. Here is how to do so.

1. Get font that works on all the platform you want to use Astah on and install them on each platform
2. Set this font from [Project Setting] on each platform (Available in Astah Professional only)

TIPS: How to set font

Using the same font for Astah on each platform should solve this issue. If you open the .asta file on platform that doesn't have the font installed, the diagrams may look different as you pointed out. Development team is considering to let Astah have the font to itself, though we do not have a specific plan at the moment unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks,
SJ
Joba
Posted on: 2012/8/13 11:48
Developer
Hello again,

Just thought that this might help for model element's sizes if you like clean diagrams.
You can specify the model element's sizes from [Tool] - [System Properties] - [Default Size (Initial)] instead of resizing each one of them directly in the diagram.

If you check "Class" and put numbers in, the size of all the Classes in the file will be changed to the specified size accordingly.

Just a sidekick tip.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
SJ
Joba
Posted on: 2012/8/13 10:36
Developer
Hello mwoodj,

Thank you very much for such thoguhtful and delightful message.
We apologize for the issue. Could you let us know which edition and version of Astah you are using through all the different platform? (i.e. Astah Professional 6.6.3)

Also if possible, would you please provide us with the screen shots of the same diagram but on each platform so that we can compare the differences clearly? You can send us the images through e-mail.

Many thanks,
SJ
mwoodj
Posted on: 2012/8/13 5:55
Just popping in
Alignment of diagram elements across platforms
Astah is my favorite UML and design tool. I use it for personal projects as well as for work. Between work and home I use many operating systems including Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. I view and edit my models on all of these platforms. I have never had any issue opening my models between these platforms and the elements of the model are always there and correct. The only real issue I have is that my diagrams look different depending on which platform I open them in. I like clean diagrams and I take the time to lay them out very nicely on whatever platform I happen to be using at the moment. It is pretty disappointing that when I open the model on another platform the elements are not sized properly and the lines are not orientated the way I originally intended. Is there a way for me to make the diagrams look the same across all supported platforms? If not are there plans to correct this issue?

Thanks for all the hard work on Astah. It is a fantastic tool and I am glad to have a UML tool that increases my productivity as opposed to being a chore that eats up way too much time before the coding begins (*cough*rational*cough*). Thanks again.
Threaded | Oldest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top