How to use of Astah (Pro/SysML/GSN/Com)
     InteractionUse

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
jpavel
Posted on: 2009/10/18 2:24
Just popping in
InteractionUse
Hello every one. I've been using Jude for a while, but not in serious projects. Now I started one project that is a kind of complex in some parts and I made everybody's mind to use Jude Community (it's complete, it's easy and its free) despite the fact that we're actually working with C# and the Community edition won't generate any code for us (in fact I think we will generate the Java code and adapt it to our needs).

Well, we has just started doing the analysis and built some sequence diagrams. Now we got a situation where the interactionUse seems to be very useful (diagram reuse). But we are having some trouble on working with it and I'll be very thankful if someone could help me, because I searched a lot in the net about some issues and found almost nothing (maybe because the intuitive Jude interface, there's not too much documentation or examples out there). These are my questions:

1. When I send a message (originated from a lifeline) to a InteractionUse, how do I tell Jude to which message it connects inside the nested diagram? (I'm supposing that can be a more than one message going from the ouside to the inside of the nested diagram).

2. I don't know if I did it right, but I gave the messages in the outside and in the inside the same name and assumed that this is all it takes to notify Jude they are the same. Knowing this, I tried to get an answer message out of the nested diagram but I couldn't figure out how it can be done, since Jude refuse to create an answer message in any symbol that isn't a lifeline.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/explanations.

Juliano
jpavel
Posted on: 2009/10/18 10:08
Just popping in
Re: InteractionUse
To illustrate what I'm saying. Supose I have this 2 classes:

Then I build the following sequence diagram (Interaction1):

Notice in the figure above that when the message identified by the doSomething1() operation is selected, a list of operrations available apears in the drop down list in the properties window on the left pane. I'm supposed to see all the methods built in AnyClass1 in that drop down list, because the lifeline x is based on AnyClass1.

Now, let me build another sequence diagram (Interaction2) with an InteractionUse referencing the sequence diagram above (Interaction1) and send the message doOperation1() to it:

When I select the message identified by the Message6() operation in the diagram, to change it for one of the methods in the drop down list (in the properties window), none of the methods belonging to AnyClass1 is shown:

So... why don't I get the doSomething1() in the drop down list? I expected Jude to show me at least the methods I used as operations in gate messages inside Interaction1. Or all of the methods of the classes attached to the lifelines belonging to Interaction1. Am I thinking wrong?
Joba
Posted on: 2009/10/21 5:39
Developer
Thank you very much for describing in detail with snapshots, jpavel It helped us a lot to understand your point clearly.

Quote:
So... why don't I get the doSomething1() in the drop down list? I expected Jude to show me at least the methods I used as operations in gate messages inside Interaction1. Or all of the methods of the classes attached to the lifelines belonging to Interaction1. Am I thinking wrong?

No, you are not thinking wrong at all. Your wonder is absolutely understandable 100% and JUDE would better to show the list of those operationss in the drop down list as you pointed out, though we had't worked on it yet.
We will consider improving this part in the future.

Thank you a lot, jpavel

Cheers,
Satomi
jpavel
Posted on: 2009/10/21 11:38
Just popping in
Thanks for the answer. Jude/Community is really a great tool. And we'll continue to use it despite of this little detail. In fact we changed the aproach in our project (we stopped using InteractionUse for reusing of some parts of the sequence diagrams because having to retype the operations outside the InteractionUse is really a pain in the ass). But it's still useful in a lot of other situations where we don't need to access messages inside the InteractionUse from the outside.

And I point some sugestions for the future versions:

a)Jude could make it possible to generate physical database models from the class diagram (along with DDL for the most used dbms - postgresql, mysql, firebird, oracle and Microsoft SQL). Of course I'm being a little selfish here, because I'm thinking about my case now... I use 2 tools: Jude and MySQL.

b)Port the C# code generation to the Community version (selfish again)

Juliano
Joba
Posted on: 2009/10/28 11:38
Developer
Hi Juliano,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for keeping using JUDE/Community despite the disadvantage for your project.

And thank you for your honest requests. (Ya, being selfish is good. )

To be honest with you, there would be low possibilities of implementing these two features in Community version at the moment as these are sort of implemented in other advanced editions. sorry!

Quote:
a)Jude could make it possible to generate physical database models...

As you may know already, with astah* professional you can generate ER models from Class Diagrams, and export it to SQL(SQL standard).

Quote:
b)Port the C# code generation to the Community version (selfish again)

Both astah* professional and astah* UML supportes C# code export.

You can try out both editions for free, 20 days each.
http://astah.change-vision.com/en/

Just to let you know, astah* UML is a new product which supports UML modeling and Mind Mapping features and now on a special offer, $40

Also JUDE/Community has been updated to astah* community (still free of course). Please be careful when you update to it because once you edit your .jude file with astah*, it may no longer work in JUDE/Community. Also some features have been cut off from JUDE/Community.

Always glad to hear customer's honest feedback, it counts!

Cheers,
Satomi
danie417
Posted on: 2010/2/18 15:57
Just popping in
hi,
I also attended Agile09 conference in Copenhagen, where I met great thinkers and a lot of nice people actually I was there for my hair replacement but this turned into a very priceless and informative visit to me. I got the
chance to meet industry experts there to exchanged views with them. I must also say that this forum is also a very useful source of information for new
developers like me.
Joba
Posted on: 2010/2/21 5:44
Developer
Thank you very much for your compliment, danie 417.
We are glad to hear that you find this forum useful. It motivates us to keep it up with the latest and useful information.
Thanks again.

- Satomi
jimmypeter
Posted on: 2011/2/24 19:39
Just popping in
hi guys,,,,
I'm still giving some thought about how we want to test changes to the real
X
interface (maybe using Xvfb along with a test library that can take and
compare
screenshots), but I'd rather that we just got some people using the XCB
version
for now (since it seems pretty clear to me that it's the way we should go).

Description:
wm: Convert most X interaction to use XCB instead of Xlib.

Due to Xlib's global error handler function, most of our
previous interaction with the X server was synchronous.
This switch to XCB, which discards errors by default for
requests that don't generate replies, should speed things up
(I am not sure how/if it's noticeable). It also makes much
of the code more concise and consistent.

There's some stuff (notably event-handling) that still uses
Xlib functions and structs -- this will probably need to
wait until GLib is out of the picture to get updated.

thanks,,,
Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top