Feature request - package dependencies

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
titusj
Posted on: 2008/3/1 1:00
Just popping in
Feature request - package dependencies
Hello,

I'm not sure the appropriate way to make a feature request, so I'm assuming if I post my request here it will find its way where it needs to be. If I should be doing something else please let me know.

I'd like to create what I call "package diagrams". They are essentially just class diagrams with packages on them. I can do that today, except one minor detail I'd like isn't there. I'd like to see the dependencies between the packages automatically shown on the diagram. I haven't been able to find any way to make those dependency links automatically get added as I drop packages or even after I've added everything to the diagram.

I'd be happy to elaborate on what I'm looking for if that isn't clear. Just let me know.

Thanks.

Jason
Joba
Posted on: 2008/3/3 18:11
Developer
Re: Feature request - package dependencies
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your post. You posted your request in right place.

In JUDE/Community, Dependency line between Packages will show automatically by dragging Packages from Structure Tree and drop them on the Diagram if the package has a dependency to other packages that are already drawn in the diagram. Let me show you an example.

1. In Class Diagram A, Package A and Package B are defined as below.

2. Open Class Diagram B and drag Package A from the Structure Tree and drop it onto Class Diagram B.

3. Drag Package B from the Structure Tree and drop it onto Class Diagram B. The dependency line will show up between Package A and Package B automatically.

Furthermore, if you drag and drop plural Pakcages that have Dependencies each other from Structure Tree to Diagram, Packages will be shown with Dependency lines between on the Diagram.

In JUDE/Professional, there is a menu on Pop-Up menu called [Show Related Classes], so by using this menu you can show all related classes in the Diagram. (Currently Package does not have this menu though..)

I am not sure if my reply fills what you asked for. If its not, please let me know, it would be great if you could give me a simple example.

Thank you.

Satomi
titusj
Posted on: 2008/3/3 23:01
Just popping in
Satomi,

Thanks for your reply. What you've described is exactly what I need, but I can't get this to work. I've added several packages to a class diagram and have yet to see any dependency added to any of them. I know that some of the packages do have dependencies upon others on the diagram, so I was expecting the relationships to be shown.

Is there a setting I might have disabled or could I be doing something else incorrectly?

I'm using JUDE Community 5.2.1.

Jason
midori
Posted on: 2008/3/6 11:41
Developer
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your post!

Could you tell us your step-by-step operation?

I have tried the above operation and it seems working well in both JUDE/Community 5.2.1 and JUDE/Professional 5.2.1.

If you have added dependencies between packages in advance, dependencies will be displayed when you drop & drop packages from the structure tree to the class diagram.

We may not understand your problem correctly, so it would be appreciated if you could tell us more detailed operations.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Thanks,
Midori
midori
Posted on: 2008/3/6 14:16
Developer
Hello again, Jason,

We have discussed this matter in our team.

Currently, JUDE will add dependencies if you add them between packages directly on the diagram. However, they are not added automatically in the following case:

Here is an example:
1) Create the following diagram (Class Diagram0).
An association is added between Class0 and Class1.

2) Drop & Drop Package0 and Package1 to Class Diagram1.

In this case, JUDE does not add dependencies between Package0 and Package1 automatically.

We would like to consider this function (adding dependencies automatically) in the future.

Thanks,
Midori
titusj
Posted on: 2008/3/7 23:04
Just popping in
Midori,

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again for clarifying and listening to my needs. I look forward to seeing this in a future version of JUDE.

Jason
Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top