some questions and suggestions

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
Anonymous
Posted on: 2006/7/24 11:32
some questions and suggestions
Post from Dies Koper as a guest
---

I just started using Jude. I am not experienced with UML so I just try to make my diagrams look like the ones in my books, but I cannot find the options to do some things.
Let me list up what I searched for. Please let me know whether I just didn't search hard enough, whether they're not supported yet or whether there is another way to do it.

1. Adding a "found message".
I am making a sequence diagram of a Servlet. I don't want to add a box for the client, but I do want a doGet or doPost method to go to the first Servlet. My UML book says to use a "found message", but I could not make it in Jude.

2. No method arguments.
I try to follow the convention that "method()" has no arguments, and "method" (no brackets) might have them. In my sequence diagrams the arguments are not always important, so I prefer not to include them. Jude, however, adds "()" to the method name anyway.

3. Unnamed Object type
I have an object in my sequence diagram that I do not give a name, but it has a rather long type name. I'd like it to display it as follows.
:HttpServlet
Request
but it always puts the colon on a separate line as follows.
:
HttpServlet
Request
How about keeping the colon and name on the same line if either the type or name is not specified?

4. Default file name.
When I pressed the "Save" button, I expected a window to come up where I could specify the file name. Instead, it just overwrote the welcome.jude file. Maybe I forgot to make a new project when I started?
How about making the welcome.jude page read-only?

Thanks for reading. I really find Jude easy to use so far!
Regards,
Dies
Joba
Posted on: 2006/7/25 17:41
Developer
Re: some questions and suggestions
Thank you Dies for your post!!

Quote:
1. Adding a "found message".

A. It is able to add "found messages" since JUDE/Professional 3.0. Unfortunately it is not supported in JUDE/Community. You can create "found messages" by using "Synchronous Message" or "Asynchronous Message".

Quote:
2. No method arguments.

A. If arguments are not always important, you can make them invisible. There are some ways to do that.

1) In case you want to make them invisible for certain messages.
- Select a Message that contains arguments you want to make invisible, then Right-Clicking to have a pop-up Menu up. Take a check off [Message Parameter Visibility]. Entered arguments or even "()" go invisible.

2) In case you want to make them invisible for certain diagrams.
- In property view of Sequence Diagram(its left bottom of the screen), take a check off [Message Parameter Initial Visibility]. Arguments of created Messages after checking this option off will be invisible.

3) In case you want to make them invisible for whole Sequence diagrams.
- Go to [Tool] - [System Properties] - [Visibility 2] then take a check off [Message Parameter - Sequence]. In new created Sequence diagrams after checking it off, all arguments are invisible.

Quote:
3. Unnamed Object type

A. If the name or type name of objects are rather long, the name lines will break down to a few lines. To have them in one line, click on the corner of the object and drag it to adjust the size of the object till it fits in one line or to be just right size.

Quote:
How about keeping the colon and name on the same line if either the type or name is not specified?

Thank you for your request! We will consider it.

Quote:
4. Default file name.

At first, when you create a new file, start from [File] - [New] in Main Menu. This is due to prevent overwriting a current project file. (I have done that once. )
Second, the window to specify the file name and where to locate your file comes up only when you press the [Save as] button. Pressing the [Save] only overwrites the files. So I recommend you when you create a new file, start from [File]-[New] and press [Save as] when you save it.

Quote:
How about making the welcome.jude page read-only?

yes, we will consider that. Thank you for your suggestion!

Quote:
Thanks for reading. I really find JUDE easy to use so far!

Thank you very much for your compliments about JUDE! Hope you learn alot and enjoy JUDE!!!

Thank you again for all your requests and questions!
Hope you find what I wrote here helpful.
We look forward to hearing from you more again!

-Cheers,
Satomi
Anonymous
Posted on: 2006/7/26 20:29
Post from Dies as a guest
---

Hello Satomi,

Thank you for your quick reply.
And thank you for the detailed explanation of how to hide method arguments, I got it now!
I had tried right-clicking on the method name before, just never thought of right-clicking on the arrow.

I have a little book which has many great suggestions how to lay out UML diagrams. I think it can give you many ideas for new options to help users make their diagrams look clearer.
Please check it out: Elements Of UML 2.0 Style, Scott W. Ambler (ISBN:0521616786)

Regards,
Dies
Joba
Posted on: 2006/7/27 10:17
Developer
You are very welcome, Dies.

Thank you for your message!
I just checked out about the book you introduced me on the internet and it seems very interesting.
I will check it out and, it will surely help to give us ideas to improve JUDE!

Thanks again Dies.

-Best Wishes,
Satomi
Anonymous
Posted on: 2006/8/3 16:12
Post from Dies as a guest
---

Hello~

I have a follow-up question regarding the second question I asked before.

<quote of previous question>
2. No method arguments.
I try to follow the convention that "method()" has no arguments, and "method" (no brackets) might have them. In my sequence diagrams the arguments are not always important, so I prefer not to include them. Jude, however, adds "()" to the method name anyway.
</quote>

Now I'm making a class diagram. The arguments of some of my methods are not important. So I'd prefer those methods not to get the "()" appended.
If I change the "Operation Parameter Visibility" (from the menu I get by right-clicking on the methods) to false, the arguments of the methods whose arguments I do want to show are hidden too. Also, in this case, ALL methods in the class get "()", while I expected the parameters and the brackets would all be hidden.

Is what I want to do possible?
Thanks,
Dies
Joba
Posted on: 2006/8/7 17:52
Developer
Hello Dies,
Thank you for your post again!

I am afraid that "()" cannot be hidden in JUDE.
I see you getting used to JUDE!

Good luck!
-Satomi
Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top