[Feature request] 2.5D UML

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
Software1
Posted on: 2013/8/26 21:12
Just popping in
[Feature request] 2.5D UML
Hi,
Could you add support for 2.5D UML? It is not true 3D but more like a layered 2D diagram.
This would be really interesting e.g. for state machine diagrams.
Joba
Posted on: 2013/8/27 9:50
Developer
Re: [Feature request] 2.5D UML
Hello Software1,

Thanks for your feature request.
To understand your request correctly, could you give us more details on how you want Astah to implement 2.5D? Do you have any samples that we can take a look at?

Thanks.
SJ
Software1
Posted on: 2013/9/4 23:31
Just popping in
Re: [Feature request] 2.5D UML
Hello SJ,

It is a bit difficult to explain and the internet does not provide many answers.

What I run into quite often is the need to develop models in three dimensions, to make things more clear or to be able to show more information.
This often occurs when designing different scenario's on a single process. Also when designing a process that interacts with other processes, I would like to keep the focus on process A while process B is still available 'behind' process A so you still can see what happens there without getting the focus away from process A.

Well, implementing true 3D models is not easy from the point of the user since monitors are usually still 2D. That is why someone came up with a layered approach.
Think of it as a single diagram that contains several layers (maybe use transparency). The developer should be able to add and remove layers and switch easily between them. Also the things that are drawn on the layers should be connected 'through' layers if possible (a line from Object O on layer one to Object S on layer two).
Because this 'layered' approach provides some of the 3D advantages but is not truly 3D, it is called 2.5D.

Maybe to switch between layers something similar can be used as MS implemented in Win7 when pressing the Windows-key + Tab. Eclipse did something like this, see this screen shot: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Image:Gef3d_sample_UniTiVisualizer.jpg.

Maybe it is even possible to interconnect different types of diagrams in a similar manner.

Well I hope you have an idea of what I am looking for.

Best regards,

Willem
Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top